Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bathroom Reveal

Last fall we decided after living in our house for over a decade to demo the main bathroom. Our house was built in the early 1950's and most of the bathroom was original. There had been a few upgrades over the years, but it was UGLY!! I had looked at those peach tiles for entirely too long!!

I apologize for not having great before shots. I realized when the workers got there that I didn't have before shots, so I snapped a few just before they began. We actually had wallpaper that we had stripped because we thought we might try and salvage the sheet rock. It didn't take long for us to realize this beauty just needed to be totally gutted.

Before:
It was a great feeling seeing that peach tile come tumbling down!

The cast iron tub weighed a ton and was interesting seeing them remove. I won't go into great detail, but when you tear out walls that have been in tact for 60+ years you find some rather interesting things in the walls and under the tub!
Drum Roll Please......

After:
We love it and could kick ourselves for not doing it sooner! I will admit it was a real headache since this is the only full bath we have. Those few weeks were very stressful for many different reasons. I guess that is why it has taken me so long to blog about it!

We wanted everything light and decided on a very neutral color palette. The walls are painted Benjamin Moore's NC-80 Bleeker Beige and all the trim and bead board is OC-6 Feather Down.
The floor tile is a 13x13 ceramic from Lowe's that we got for about $.56 sq/ft. We used a grout that was as very close to the tile color and basically butted the tiles against one another to create as small of a grout line as possible.


We used the same tile for the field tile for the tub/shower surround. We splurged and added a tumbled travertine diamond pattern band.

I was excited to finally have a recessed niche for shampoo and soap.

The shower curtain is a basic waffle weave curtain from Wal-Mart. I cut the bottom off and added a ruffled band of cream colored linen.
I purchased an additional shower curtain and used it to make the curtains. I used the same cream linen and added a ruffle down the lead edge.

We reused the cabinet doors. We spruced them up by adding bead board and trim to each door and changing out the hardware.

22 comments:

Judy said...

Leigh Ann...this is stunning! I lived in an older home years ago that had maroon tile! It was so ugly and we painted over it a cream color...so much better.

You did an outstanding job, you should be so proud of yourself.

I've been wanting to update hubby's bathroom (right now it's chocolate brown) so since I'm lightening up the rest of the house I might use your bathroom as inspiration.

Great job!
Judy

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. Ya'll will love using it for years to come. I am so ready to do ours, but it works fine and that is all that matters with the other one who uses it. :)

Darryl and Kristina said...

Gorgeous, Leigh Anne!! I can see why you wanted to update it... :-) You really did an amazing job!

I also really like that wooden tripod chair: cool!

sheri said...

This bathroom is stunning. It's accessorized beautifully too. I wish i had that knack. We just re-did the boys room and it feels bare after seeing this! :)

Jill said...

Where did the light over the mirror come from. I love it!

Laura said...

haha, just occured to me that we have the same monogram on our towels... perhaps yours will go missing the next time I stop by :)

Anne said...

Found this on Pinterest and I am in love - great job!!

Anonymous said...

I have a bathroom just like this and have been wondering how to redo it. I love what you've done and it has given me alot of great ideas. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous job, Leigh Anne. You've inspired me to gut my old bathroom too. Thank you so much for sharing the details. Love the bead board and tile choices. I've been looking for a similar vanity. Details?

Leigh Anne said...

The vanity came from Lowe's. Hope that helps!!

Anonymous said...

Love it!! We are just starting a remodel and I wasn't sure how I wanted it to look, thank you for the idea's. Your bathroom looks amazing.

A Daughter of the King said...

I love everything about this bathroom!

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the metal brackets for the wall shelf?

MommaLanda said...

I found this on pintrest and love the work you did! Where did you get the wall shelf, if you don't mind me asking?

Jess said...

Love your remodel!! I know it's been awhile but any chance you know the brand or company of the waffle and linen curtains you bought? Just love the curtains! Thanks so much!

Barbie Chiu said...

Good day. I was impressed with your article. Keep it up . You can also visit my site if you have time. Thank you and Bless you always.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com

Tamara Holley said...

Where did you find the decorative shelf? Love it!

Anonymous said...

Lovely bathroom. Was there an answer I missed as to where to purchase especially the shelf above the toilet, also the cute chair, and the waffle curtains? I was particularly interested in the shelf. Hopefully the question was answered and if you could pass it on to me, that would be most appreciated!

Mara VanEssen said...

How did you do your cabinets? I want to do that to my kitchen cabinets with the bean board and trim?

North East Factory Direct said...

This bathroom looks amazing. Very jealous right now. Great job!

Furniture Store Denver said...

This is Gorgeous! Love It!!!

Poulin Design Center said...

Beautiful!!! I absolutely love it. You guys did great job!