Last fall we decided after living in our house for over a decade to demo the main bathroom. Our house was built in the early 1950's and most of the bathroom was original. There had been a few upgrades over the years, but it was UGLY!! I had looked at those peach tiles for entirely too long!!
I apologize for not having great before shots. I realized when the workers got there that I didn't have before shots, so I snapped a few just before they began. We actually had wallpaper that we had stripped because we thought we might try and salvage the sheet rock. It didn't take long for us to realize this beauty just needed to be totally gutted.
It was a great feeling seeing that peach tile come tumbling down!
The cast iron tub weighed a ton and was interesting seeing them remove. I won't go into great detail, but when you tear out walls that have been in tact for 60+ years you find some rather interesting things in the walls and under the tub!
Drum Roll Please......
We love it and could kick ourselves for not doing it sooner! I will admit it was a real headache since this is the only full bath we have. Those few weeks were very stressful for many different reasons. I guess that is why it has taken me so long to blog about it!
We wanted everything light and decided on a very neutral color palette. The walls are painted Benjamin Moore's NC-80 Bleeker Beige and all the trim and bead board is OC-6 Feather Down.
The floor tile is a 13x13 ceramic from Lowe's that we got for about $.56 sq/ft. We used a grout that was as very close to the tile color and basically butted the tiles against one another to create as small of a grout line as possible.
We used the same tile for the field tile for the tub/shower surround. We splurged and added a tumbled travertine diamond pattern band.
The shower curtain is a basic waffle weave curtain from Wal-Mart. I cut the bottom off and added a ruffled band of cream colored linen.
I purchased an additional shower curtain and used it to make the curtains. I used the same cream linen and added a ruffle down the lead edge.
We reused the cabinet doors. We spruced them up by adding bead board and trim to each door and changing out the hardware.